Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Towels, Papertowels, and Washcloths

A friend of mine has always done this in her house. I was skeptical of it actually saving me money until I tried it.  She only uses papertowels to clean the mirrors in her home.  Every thing else in her house is cleaned with rags, old washcloths, cut up old towels, etc.  She claimed she could go almost a year using ONE big set of papertowels from Costco.  hmmmm.  I on average purchase about 4-5 sets of papertowels from Costco in 12 months.  

So about 4 months ago I started doing that.  You know what?  I still haven't even gone through half the package of paper towels and things look just as clean.  It takes a little bit more effort to wash your rags on regular basis, but it has saved me quite a bit of pass through costs.  

Take your old towels that have been bleached stained, are too old, have holes in them... whatever their dystfunction and cut them into small squares.  Rags can be used a VERY long time and survive MANY MANY washes.  You can even use old t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc as rags.  

Try it and let me know what you think!

8 comments:

  1. yes, good. i totally know i should do that, but always wimp out and grab the pt's for a nasty spill. i will recommit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cool thing about using old towels for rags is that you don't feel too bad throwing them away if you have to clean up something really gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. I was recently thinking that we go through tonz of paper towels in the kitchen... and I need to use actual cloth instead! I'll make it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a tip if you want to use even less paper towels....use newspaper to clean the windows and mirrors. It really works and it doesn't leave lint all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really? you can use newspaper? i have NEVER heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was going to post that comment too. Newspapers work great! Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the same idea of "re-usables" (good for the environment AND pocketbook). I've done some research on cloth diapers. Check out Fuzzi Bunz diapers on the internet. They're WAY better than cloth diapers of the past (no safety pins, no plastic pants). My baby's almost to potty training age, but when I have my next, I will start with Fuzzi Bunz right away (only using disposables for camping, babysitters...). My math shows it will save 1/3 to 1/2 the cost over a 2 year period of diaper-wearing. (You could save more or less depending on how many you buy/ how often you do laundry)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister-in-law has used these cloth diapers with both of her girls. I think she just re-used the diapers from her first child with her second. It was a bit of an investment at first, but I think it's paid off. Her first child practically potty-trained herself. I don't know if it's because of the diapers, but I have heard that kids are more motivated to get out of diapers when they can feel the moisture on their skin. Some considerations: you still have to purchase disposables when you go on trips, extra laundry costs, and you have to figure out some way to store them until you have enough to wash (ie: bucket of bleach water to soak them in). Otherwise, a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails