Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oats

I asked for food storage for my birthday and my rockin' sister in law got me raw Oats.  Yay.  Except I have no clue what to do.  She bought them during the Macey's sale so they are in the 42qt size tubs.  She bought me a 45lb bucket and mentioned that she was going to be canning hers in the #10 cans in March, I could do the same.  

What would you do?  I don't even know how often I'll be using them?  Should I put them in a big bucket? Keep them in their cardboard tubs? Can them?  What recipes do you have that I could make the Oats useful?  I'm suuuure there are a lot more ideas than just oatmeal cookies and oats for breakfast.  Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely can them. Otherwise they will go bad or get infested long before you use half of them up.

    Here is a great recipe. These end up, once you've cut it into squares, much like a muffin. A great use for lots of food storage items.

    Baked Oatmeal

    5 cups oats
    2 1/2 c milk (rice, soy, dairy, or reconstituted powdered)
    4 eggs
    3/4 c brown sugar (or 1/2 c honey)
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 c dried fruit of choice, optional (raisins, craisins, apples, apricots, etc.)

    Mix together and pour into a sprayed 9 X 13 pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. This reheats well (freezes well also). You can assemble this ahead (even overnight, which is what I always do) and bake later. You can serve this recipe as breakfast, snack, or even dessert with a small dollop of cool whip or ice cream. Put leftovers in individual baggies in a big ziplock in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails