Friday, February 20, 2009

Hair Flowers for Little Girls

I love flowers in the hair of little girls. And I have 3 little girls. I have seen similar flowers in the stores or craft boutiques and the prices that range from $3-8 a piece, which I can't afford or justify. So I figured it out on my own. I am also telling you this now because Spring is coming (at least I hope so!! lol) and pink is a color that you cannot find in the Fall. So, you may want to purchase some fun colors and make some hair accessories for Easter or a birthday or baby shower.

You will need:
artificial flowers from the craft store
A needle
A thimble (this is optional, but it does help!)
quilting thread (regular thread is ok, but breaks easily)
barrettes
ribbon
small beads (I got a package of 250 for $2.49)
Hot glue gun

Pull the flower off the stem and take it apart. Between the layers of the flowers there is usually a plastic piece that helps separate the layers. Take those out and throw them away and put the flower back together. (this plastic center gets thrown way)
Thread your needle, and sew a bead in the center of the flower, just like you would sew on a button. Don't skimp here. If the bead comes off, it will be a choking hazard, so really use good thread and sew it on extra tight.
Cover a barrette with a short piece of ribbon. If you can find the "alligator" clips, I think those would be better, but I couldn't find them anywhere. You can even recycle old clips you don't use and cover them.
You have to cover it in ribbon so that the hot glue will have a place to stick. Then hot glue the barrette to the back of the flower. Viola! You are done.

You can also make headbands with ribbon or stretch lace and then clip different flowers to the headband. Since a bunch of flowers will come with more than you need, you can use the leftovers for gifts or split the cost with some friends and share the flowers. It is fun to have matching flowers (2 pair) for pony tails.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails