Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some time and money..

Last night as I was making dinner, I realized something. It may be something you have already thought of or done, but for me it was a lightbulb going on.

I have been buying my hamburger meat in bulk for awhile. I wait for sales and buy those huge packages. When I get home, I usually figure out what a pound is, divide it up and freeze it flat so it will stack. That is a great and wonderful idea. But then last night as I was making a hamburger casserole, I was thinking that something so simple takes a bit of time and uses multiple dishes. So I figured.. why not brown all the meat at once, then divide it and freeze it? Then when I need browned meat I can just pull one out and thaw it. I usually do a menu ahead of time, but now I am going to attempt to do 2 or 3 week menu's so I can see how many times I would use browned meat. If you are already browning it for one meal and using a pan, why not brown it all and then you won't have that extra step later on. I am all about saving time these days, so it sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

2 comments:

  1. my mom used to do that! haha! it's totally why i DON'T ... but she loved it and it saved her time. i say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I do that and you will LOVE it! You can even make some that is taco meat already with the sauce on it and freeze it in a separate bag. It is soooo handy. Do it with cooked chicken too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails