Ideas for Using Up Old Fruit:
Obviously-- throw away any fruit that smells bad, has been stored too long, is moldy or slimy!! Use your judgement!
1) Leftover pumpkin from Jack-o-Lanterns can be pureed to use as canned pumpkin in bread or cookies.
2) Old or over-ripe apples are good in an "Upside-Down Cake." (recipe follows)
3) Make fruit leather.
4) Over-ripe bananas can be mashed & frozen to be later baked into bread or added to muffin recipes.
5) Fruit purees can be substituted for fat in many recipes.
6) Prepare gelatin with fruit juices instead of water.
7) Mash and mix into pancake batter.
8) Zucchini (yes it is technically a fruit) can be grated and frozen, then later used in casseroles and soups. Great way to store it for later use when it is so plentiful in the summer. Grate the zucchini, then steam blanch it before freezing.
Recipe for Upside-Down Cake:
Cut apples into slices and layer to cover bottom of cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Make a cake following the directions on the cake mix box, and pour batter over apple mixture. Bake according to directions on the cake mix package. Serve warm topped with whipped cream.