Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just like I-Hop

Do you love eating out at I-Hop (or a similar pancake house) and eating their delicious pancakes? Me too. Unfortunately, it's not in my family's budget to do something like that very often. I mean, maybe once a year we have done that. It's just not something we can afford to do -we rarely eat out AT ALL, let alone for pancakes on a Saturday morning with the kids. But I ran across a pancake recipe a couple years ago that is awesome and the pancakes turn out fluffy and perfect, very similar to those of a restaurant. (I honestly would give credit to where I found the recipe if I could remember, but I can't. So please forgive me for that one.)

I will say that once we discovered this recipe, we no longer have the desire to "eat out" for pancakes. They are really yummy and so much cheaper than taking the whole family out to eat! We have added chocolate chips to them on occasion, and that is really good too. I am sure you all can come up with many delicious variations! If you do, please share them with us.

Buttermilk Pancakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour onto the griddle to form pancakes. Flip pancakes when edges appear top harden. Cook pancakes on the other side until just slightly golden. Makes about 6-8 medium sized pancakes.

Buttermilk Waffles:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoong baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Combine ingredients and mix well. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and cook until lightly golden brown. (Now that I type this, I don't know why the eggs are separated. Hmmm....can you tell my husband always makes these? lol. I will ask him in the morning and come back and fix this part).

1 comment:

  1. you whip the eggs whites and fold them into the batter. that's what helps them be fluffy. egg mystery solved!! :)

    i'm totally going to try this recipe. thanks Nat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails