Monday, December 29, 2008

Stretching Leftovers = Leftover Pockets

Looking for a way to use up leftovers? I made this tonight and my kids ATE - IT - UP.... and they gave it 3 stars of the favorites scale (1= good, 2 = we really like it, 3 = LOVE IT). Anything that gets my kids to give leftovers 3 stars is a keeper in my book. Oh, and my husband loved it too, so that really makes it a family keeper!

My mother-in-law has a recipe in our family cookbook that lists an idea like this, but recommends using crescent rolls, with 2 rolls squished together into a rectangle, or, it says, use a "rectangle of bread dough." Well, not one to usually have a rectangle of bread dough lying around, I've never tried this out. I did come across a recipe that worked well, and I thought I would share it with you, along with all the filling ideas from my wonderful mother-in-law. I am sure that you all can think of more filling ideas, so please add them to the comments if you do!

If you are going to mix this by hand, be sure to read the note below and adjust accordingly. I have a big KitchenAid mixer, so that's how I do all my dough, but I included directions for other methods.

Leftover Pockets:
1 cup very hot water , between 120-130 degrees F (yes, I do actually check the temperature)
2 to 3 TB olive oil or canola oil
1 & 1/2 rounded teaspoons of yeast
1 & 1/4 teaspoons of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups all purpose (white) flour
1 & 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
NOTE-- if you wanted more protein in your diet, you could use 1/2 cup of bean flour and 2 & 1/2 cups of wheat/white flour.

Mixer Directions:
Combine dry yeast, sugar, salt, and flours into a large mixing bowl. Add oil and stir to combine. Turn your mixer on and slowly add the water a little at a time. Beat until well kneaded, when the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. This only takes a few minutes, depending on the speed and power of your mixer.

Mixing by Food Processor:
Bread dough can be made in a food processor very easily. Just use your dough blade and place all the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl. Make sure you turn the machine ON before you add the oil and the water, adding it a little at a time. Allow the food processor time to beat the dough for you. It only takes about 30-60 seconds, and you're done.

Mixing by Hand:
If you are going to mix and knead by hand, you should add the yeast to the water and allow it to dissolve before adding it to the dry ingredients. If you do this, use water that is about 110-120 degrees F. You would then knead the dough for 10 minutes, or until soft and well kneaded.

Directions continued:
After dough is well kneaded, cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes, or until about doubled in size. (I did mine for 60 minutes, but only because I got distracted by a phone call. It turned out fine). Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Divide the dough into about 6-8 equal sized pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into circles, about 1/8 inch thick. If you can get a cute kid to help you, it's more fun.

Let the dough rest for a few minutes while you prepare the filling. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of filling of your choice, and fold the dough in half, sealing edges tightly with a fork.
You can brush the tops with an egg wash or melted butter at this point, if you want the pockets to look more golden when they come out of the oven. I didn't, and they probably would have looked fancier and more golden brown if I did.

Poke a few little holes in the top with a fork or cut a slit to allow the steam to escape. Bake at 375 degrees F on a greased cookie sheet or silpat for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Serve!
Brunch or Lunch Filling Possibilities:
1. Sliced boiled eggs, bacon or asparagus, Swiss cheese
2. Scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, cheddar cheese
3. Scrambled eggs, chopped green chilies, cheddar cheese, salsa. Top baked pockets with additional salsa.
4. Sliced ham, crushed or chunk pineapple (well drained), mozzarella or Jack cheese
5. Canadian bacon, chopped apple, Swiss cheese
6. Sliced turkey, Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing
7. Sliced salami, Muenster cheese, mustard
8. Reuben: sliced corned beef, sauerkraut or coleslaw (well drained), Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing. Brush tops with water and sprinkle with caraway seeds before baking.
9. Tuna (well drained), chopped onion and celery, American cheese, black pepper
10. Bacon, sliced tomato (seeded), cheddar cheese
11. Sliced apple, Brie cheese
12. Sliced avocado, sliced tomato, Jack cheese, hot pepper sauce
13. Asparagus, Havarti cheese

Dinner Filling Possibilities:
1. Chicken, peas, cream of mushroom soup. Heat remaining soup and serve over pockets if desired.
2. Broccoli, cheddar cheese, sliced ham, cream of chicken soup. (This is what I made- pictured at the top of post).
3. Turkey, dressing, gravy. Top baked pockets with extra gravy.
4. Chicken, sliced red onion, barbecue sauce
5. Roast beef, sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce
6. Chicken, cheddar cheese, salsa
7. Sliced pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, pizza or spaghetti sauce (I made this for my kids, but left out the mushrooms and used black olives instead).
8. Taco seasoned ground beef, chopped tomato, cheddar cheese, taco sauce
9. Pork, sliced green pepper, sliced onion, barbecue sauce
10. Chicken, mixed vegetables, mozzarella cheese, chili sauce
11. Ham, chopped apple, raisins
12. Turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce
13. Pork, sliced green onion, marmalade
The total cost of this meal was the price of the flour, yeast and oil, and a can of cream of chicken soup, and a can of black olives. I had everything else in my fridge, waiting to be used up. Obviously the possibilities are endless, so open your fridge and use your imagination!!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!! My kids love Breakfast burritos...but what if I don't have any tortillas?? A: Breakfast Pockets!! Pocket anything!! This is awesome!!! I am going to do it!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn! And if you made them with 100% whole wheat flour or used part bean flour, they'd be even more filling, and I know your kids eat you out of house and home! Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these for dinner last night. I put leftover corn chowder in them. It was a hit! My family LOVED it. My hubby works at a school and usually eats lunch in the cafeteria. I'm thinking it would help a lot to randomly throw some Leftover Pockets in the freezer for the rare and unpredictable times he needs to pack a lunch to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. alright. i tried this tonight. we did leftover chili as the filling. it was pretty good! i'd actually make more pockets with the amount of dough or maybe i need to roll it out thinner...it seemed really bready... otherwise it was awesome.

    my 17 month old loved it, my 6 year old looked at me like i'd handed her a piece of wood. ahhh well, can't always please everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails