Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Automatic Light Switch

If your kids are like mine, they are really bad at turning off the lights when they leave a room. A few years ago my husband installed this automatic light switch. If you put it in the "auto" position, then it turns on whenever it detects motion. You can adjust the length of time it stays on (before you screw the plate to the wall). It can stay on for a few seconds or up to about 20 minutes (if I remember the package correctly).
You can also just turn it "on" or "off" and it will work like a regular switch. We got it at Lowe's but I am sure you could get it at any home improvement store. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how much it cost, though I think it was about $7-10. Considering the savings to my electric bill, it has been worth it. If you install one of these, make sure you follow all safety precautions with regards to electricity!

Ours is in our bathroom. It has saved us from having our bathroom light on 24 hours a day. Helps cut the electric bill, but you can tell people that you are "saving the environment" and not wasting energy, and it doesn't sound like you're being frugal!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I was wondering, does that turn back on when you walk back in the room? I think it is a great idea to save money that way. Power bills can get out of control so easy with people leaving lights on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if you leave it on the auto setting, then it turns on whenever it detects motion. So, when you move, it turns on. So, the light may stay on for a few minutes after you leave the room (depending on how long you set the timer), but it won't stay on for 5 hours while you're at a family party!!

    My inlaws had one in their kitchen of their old house. It was set to the maximum amount of time (20 min?) and turned on when they walked in the door. If you were going to stay in the kitchen longer than that, then you would flip it to "on." My bathroom switch is only set to a few minutes. If I am in there doing my girls' hair, etc, then I switch it to "on". Most of the time I leave it on "auto" though.

    Next time I am at Lowe's I will try to remember to check and see how much these actually cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this suggestion. Do you mind if I use it on my blog? I will put a link back to yours.
    I'm always turning off light switches in our house. There are 8 of us here, so you can imagine how many switches I turn off in a days time.
    Thanks for the idea.
    www.simplyfrugalnana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails