Thursday, February 4, 2010

Recipe for Homemade Biscuits

This recipe comes from page 170 of this cookbook by Betty Crocker. It was given to my 5 year old daughter for her birthday. I don't know the year the cookbook was published because that page is missing, but there is "Xmas 1957-58" written on the inside cover.  Pretty sure it's out of print.  But it's a great old cookbook, because it has recipes from before people used mixes all the time! In fact, it even has a few places where it will suggest that you could buy the new mix put out by Betty Crocker.  For example:


WHIZ BISCUITS: "Quick as a wink. Just make Biscuits as directed on the Bisquick package. Even quicker. They come in a can, Bisquick and Puffin, and you keep them in the refrigerator, all ready to bake." 
Hee hee! Don't you think that's funny? (Ok, maybe I'm weird).

Here's the recipe. These biscuts are SO easy and they are really good. My 5 year old calls them "her" biscuits and she loves to make them. She can do almost everything by herself. 

DROP BISCUITS RECIPE:

STEP 1: Heat oven to 450 degrees F.  Grease baking sheet lightly. Mix in a bowl:

2 cups sifted white flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp. salt
(Note: This can all be done by hand, but I use my KitchenAid mixer).

STEP 2: With a pastry blender cut in until fine: 1/3 cup soft shortening
(I like to use butter flavor, but I am sure regular flavor would work well, too. And again, I do this all in my KitchenAid mixer & use the dough hook).

STEP 3: With fork stir in 3/4 cup milk
(Or just mix it in with your mixer).

Drop biscuit-sized pieces of dough onto baking sheet. Push the dough off the fork with a rubber scraper.
(I like to use my cookie scoop. It makes all the biscuits fairly uniform in size.)
Leave 2-inch space between biscuits so they can brown and will be separate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until brown. Serve piping hot. Makes 12 to 20 biscuits.
Yummy! And cheaper than buying refrigerated biscuit dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails