Saturday, December 26, 2009

Shopping AFTER Holidays, A Few Tips & Stocking Stuffers for Next Year

We all know that after a holiday you can really save by purchasing things that have been marked down significantly. The sales will usually last one week after a holiday. Typically you will see this pattern for sales:

Days 1, 2 and 3 after the holiday:   Items marked at 50% off their original prices

Days 4, 5 and 6 after the holiday:   Items marked at 75% off their original prices

Days 7 & 8 after the holiday:          Items marked at 90% off their original prices

After that, the merchandise is pretty much gone, or the retailers will even dispose of it so that they can clear their shelves for the next coming holiday.  (Anyone notice that Valentine's decor was already out in JoAnn Fabrics BEFORE Christmas!?  I was shocked!)   This is a great way to get holiday decor for the next year and just put it away with your items, but you can also save on other things, like gifts.  One year I went to Wal-mart and stocked up on the bath stuff that had been marked down 90% off.  I had teacher gifts and gifts for my friends all year 'round. I even used one for a graduation present for my niece.  If you want to do this, look carefully through the selection, because many of them do not have Christmas logos on them, though some do. 

Another tip: I have started paying attention when people are opening gifts.  For example, when my husband opened a tool, my brother mentioned, "Oh, nice!! I need one of those."  I have a little notebook and I write that stuff down in it. It gives me ideas for their birthdays or the following Christmas. And sometimes I can even find them at the after-holiday sales and I can save a lot of money, so I can get an item I might not normally be able to afford. Note that if you choose this method, the recipient can't return the gift, so be careful to whom you give these types of things.  If it is someone who would try to return it, then remember the idea, but don't purchase it this far in advance!

And if you live alone or are one of those people who has to fill your own stocking......well, here's a tip.  Buy some things now, after Christmas while they are marked down, and wrap them up.  Put them in a box or bin and mark it "My Stocking" or "My Presents" and store them with your Christmas decorations as you put them away this year. Next year when you get out your items, resist the temptation to open the gifts.  You will NOT remember what they are. (Well, if you do, wow! What a memory!)  On Christmas morning, you will have gifts to open and will be pleasantly surprised and you will receive things that you actually wanted because you bought them! 

If you can combine some of your items with coupons, you can really save big!  Good luck and happy shopping!!

2 comments:

  1. I've already been out there looking, and unfortunately I have found that many stores bought just the right amount of Christmas stuff this year and don't have much left over for sales. Good luck hunting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to go out after Christmas to get stuff but we just had another blizzard and the roads just weren't safe. Especially for this southern girl's first winter in the midwest. I'm kind of upset about it b/c I really need stuff and won't beable to do it next year b/c the day after is Sunday! Yeah. The stores are definitley getting smarter about how much stuff they get. Which stinks for us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails